About the blogger

My photo
I'm in my second year as the College Recruitment Officer, and it's gratifying to see so many of the people I helped get started here in classes and moving toward brighter futures. I'm a true education advocate, having earned a bachelor's degree in English from the University of New Mexico and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the University of Utah. I've also worked in public relations and as a newspaper reporter and a librarian.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The personal touch

We have a lot of hands-on programs here at MCC, but Physical Therapist Assistant may be the ultimate. During a visit to a PTA class this week, I witnessed a lot of physical contact--all of the healing sort, of course. The PTA profession naturally requires touching, holding and lifting, and folks who are shy about doing that probably need to look elsewhere for their future vocation. For those that have what it takes, PTA is a great career that offers good pay and outstanding job prospects, especially with our aging population. To hear PTA resident faculty Carrie Perkins talk about it, PTA is more than a career, it's a way of life and a true professional home.

Above: It may look like PTA student Carolyn is trying to turn her classmate into a pretzel, but she's really testing his range of motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment