About the blogger

My photo
I'm in my second year as the College Recruitment Officer, and it's gratifying to see so many of the people I helped get started here in classes and moving toward brighter futures. I'm a true education advocate, having earned a bachelor's degree in English from the University of New Mexico and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from the University of Utah. I've also worked in public relations and as a newspaper reporter and a librarian.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Continuous education

This summer semester promises to be bigger than past years with the addition of the year-around Pell grant. President Obama's push to increase the number of college graduates in the country has resulted not only in an increase in the amount students can get through Pell but also an extension of funding into summer. That's great news for the non-traditional students I work with who are in a hurry to get their education and move on to a new career as quickly as possible. It's also a benefit for those younger adults who delayed college to work and have families and now want to "start using (their) brains again," as one 22-year-old returning student told me recently. No need to wait until Fall to get that gray matter going. If you already have a Pell grant, come into Student Services to ask about a summer grant. If you're new to the Pell, the last day to submit your financial aid paperwork in time for summer is May 14. Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to get started, and see me or a financial aid advisor if you have questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment